Robotic-Assisted Thoracic Surgery
Thoracic surgery is a surgical specialty which is focused on procedures involving the chest, more formally known as the thorax. It may also be known as cardiothoracic surgery; cardiothoracic surgeons focus on heart and lung surgery in particular.
Why Robotic Surgery for the Lungs and Chest?
Robotic-assisted technology with thoracic surgery has had a positive impact for patients and great results for both patients and physicians. These surgical procedures are performed primarily on the lungs and esophagus but can also include the heart. With the use of the da Vinci® Robotic Surgical System, these procedures can be performed through small incisions without spreading or cutting the ribs, which could require a large, 8-10 inch incision. This open surgery commonly would require a more lengthy and uncomfortable recovery.
Robotic-assisted Thoracic Surgeries in Clearwater, Florida
Thoracic surgeries that can be performed using the da Vinci Surgical System includes:
- Lung resections including lobectomy (surgical removal of a lobe of the lung)
- Lymph nodes biopsy in the mediastinum (center part of the chest including heart, main blood vessels, lymph nodes and the esophagus)
- Removal of mediastinal tumors
- Mitral valve replacements
The da Vinci Surgical System provides surgeons and patients with what may be the most effective, least invasive treatment option for even the most complex thoracic procedures. The potential benefits of da Vinci robotic thoracic surgery include:
- Reduced risk of infection
- Less blood loss and need for blood transfusions
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less pain and scarring
- Faster recovery and return to normal activities
For more information about robotic-assisted surgery for thoracic conditions at Morton Plant Hospital, please call (727) 462-3000.