Sleep Disorder Treatment
BayCare offers a variety of sleep disorder treatments for individuals throughout the Tampa Bay area. After undergoing a sleep study at one of our state-of-the-art Sleep Disorders Centers, your polysomnogram results will be evaluated so that we can design a personalized treatment plan to fit your unique needs. Depending on the type and severity of your sleep disorder, treatment may include:
- PAP therapy – Positive airway pressure (PAP) therapy is often used to treat central sleep apnea or obstructive sleep apnea. It involves a CPAP or BiPAP machine that is attached to the nose and mouth via a mask and hose. During sleep, compressed air is pumped into the patient’s upper airway to help keep it open. A titration study can determine the exact degree of pressure that is necessary.
- Oral appliances – Dental devices like mandibular repositioning appliances and tongue retaining appliances may be used to treat mild to moderate cases of snoring and sleep apnea. Your dentist will supply you with these devices and you may be referred to a BayCare Sleep Disorders Center to have the device adjusted to fit your needs.
- Sleep hygiene – Sleep hygiene refers to practices that help facilitate quality sleep. Not napping during the day and avoiding stimulants before bedtime are a few examples of good sleep hygiene. Other sleep habits to avoid include eating large meals and/or drinking alcohol before bed.
- Medication – Some medications may help alleviate the symptoms of sleep disorders such as insomnia and restless leg syndrome. Certain weight loss medications may be prescribed for patients who suffer from obesity-related obstructive sleep apnea. Other medications like benzodiazepines can exacerbate sleep disorders, so talk to your doctor about any prescription or over-the-counter medications you may be taking.
- Surgery – In severe cases when sleep apnea or other sleep disorders have not responded to nonsurgical treatments, surgery may be recommended. Surgical options include tonsillectomy, adenoid removal, uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, and weight loss surgery, among others.
Find Sleep Disorder Treatments in the Tampa Bay Area
Learn more about BayCare’s sleep disorder treatments by calling (866) 328-9932 or talking to your physician about a referral for a professional sleep evaluation at one of our Sleep Disorders Centers. Register for a class or event near you. BayCare proudly serves individuals throughout Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Sarasota, Largo, Seminole, Safety Harbor, New Port Richey and the surrounding areas.