Colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer in men and women and the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States. Individuals over the age of 50 who have a family history of colorectal cancer or who have an inflammatory bowel disease are at a higher risk of developing the disease. Colorectal cancer begins in the lower digestive system and usually starts as polyps on the lining of the colon or rectum.
Diagnostic Testing for Colorectal Cancer in Safety Harbor, Florida
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that colorectal cancer screenings should begin at age 50. In order to detect polyps and pre-cancerous cells as early as possible, Mease Countryside Hospital offers a variety of screenings and innovative diagnostic tests aimed at catching colorectal abnormalities before they develop into malignant tumors. Our state-of-the-art outpatient imaging department in the Shaffer Tower offers a caring, comfortable environment in which patients can get the testing they need.
In addition to imaging tests such as MRI, CT scan, ultrasound, and imaging-guided biopsy, we offer:
- Fecal occult blood test (FOBT) – test to check for hidden blood in the stool
- Colonoscopy – test using a fiber-optic camera and flexible tube to explore the interior of the rectum and colon; sedation is required
- Proctoscopy – test using a rigid proctoscope or rectoscope to examine the anal cavity, rectum and lowest portion of the colon (sigmoid colon); sedation is not required
- Sigmoidoscopy – similar to a colonoscopy, but used to examine only up to the sigmoid colon, not the entire large bowel; sedation is not required
Treatments for Colorectal Cancer at Mease Countryside Hospital
At Mease Countryside Hospital, it is our goal to combine the innovative therapies of a world-class oncology facility with the attentive, trustworthy care you would expect in a hometown hospital. Our exceptional team of oncologists and surgeons creates personalized treatment plans to fit each patient’s unique needs, taking the time to explain how the treatments work, why they’re necessary, and what side effects may be expected.
In addition to nonsurgical therapies such as outpatient chemotherapy and targeted drug therapy, we offer the following traditional and minimally invasive surgical therapies for colorectal cancer for patients throughout Safety Harbor, Florida, and the rest of the Tampa Bay area:
- Colorectal cancer surgery
- Laparoscopic colon surgery
- Endoscopic mucosal resection
- Laparoscopic-assisted colectomy
- Abdominoperineal resection
- Pelvic externation
- Polypectomy and local excision
- Proctectomy with coloanal anastomosis
For a referral to a board-certified oncologist, please call the BayCare Customer Service Center at (727) 462-7500 or find a specialist near you.
Mease Countryside Hospital Outpatient Imaging Department
3231 N. McMullen Booth Rd., Shaffer Tower
Safety Harbor, FL 33762