Hand and Upper Extremity
Mease Countryside Hospital’s Hand and Upper Extremity Orthopedic Team provides specialized care for the hand, wrist and elbow.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Injuries or diseases of the bones, joints, nerves, tendons
- Congenital abnormalities
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Work-related injuries
- Wound management
Following evaluation, our patients receive comprehensive care plans designed to eliminate pain, improve range of motion as well as strength and restore function of the hand and arm. Most often, these plans include specialized therapy to alleviate symptoms.
Hand and Upper Extremity Therapy
Our occupational therapists and certified hand therapists provide the following non-surgical treatments:
- Customized splints for protection or to improve function after injury or surgery, and to improve range of motion and flexibility
- Specific, goal-oriented activities and exercises using the latest technology to increase range of motion, flexibility, strength, endurance and fine motor coordination in specific joints and muscle groups to help restore independent function
- Use of modalities such as paraffin, moist heat, fluidotherapy, ultrasound, whirlpool, transelectrical nerve stimulation (TENS), neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES), iontophoresis, biofeedback and the BTE Work Simulator to reduce pain, edema and sensitivity, to assist with wound healing, and to increase range of motion, flexibility, strength, endurance and fine motor coordination
- Functional training through adaptation of daily living activities for independence, joint protection and energy conservation, work simplification and ergonomics and fine motor coordination
- Comprehensive education and home programs to complement your formal therapy program
If non-surgical treatments do not prove effective, surgery may be an option. Our highly qualified surgical team has helped hundreds of patients with serious joint injuries to get back to normal daily activities.
Morton Plant Mease Outpatient Rehabilitative Services
BayCare Wellness Center (Palm Harbor)
32672 US Highway 19 N.
Palm Harbor, FL 34684