Cervical cancer and ovarian cancer are among the most common gynecological cancers. Like many gynecological cancers, these may go undetected until they are in their late stages. However, outcomes are good when the disease is detected and treated early. Symptoms to look out for include abnormal vaginal discharge or bleeding, pelvic pain, chronic bloating and pain during intercourse.
Mease Countryside Hospital in Safety Harbor, Florida, is committed to improving the health of women throughout our community by offering screenings, diagnostic testing and treatment for gynecological cancers.
Like any cancer, early detection is an important part of overcoming cervical cancer or ovarian cancer. Screenings for cervical cancer such as the Pap test and HPV test can help detect pre-cancerous cells before they develop into malignant tumors, though these tests are not considered effective detection methods for ovarian cancer.
In the event that diagnostic testing or imaging is needed, Mease Countryside Hospital offers a comprehensive range of services:
- Cone biopsy
- Proctoscopy (sigmoidoscopy)
- Lymph node biopsy
Treatments for Gynecological Cancer at Mease Countryside Hospital
The outstanding team of oncologists and surgeons at Mease Country Hospital is committed to helping patients beat gynecological cancer using the most innovative treatment techniques available. In addition to chemotherapy (combination, regional, and systemic), we also offer a comprehensive range of minimally invasive and traditional open surgeries:
- Hysterectomy – removal of all or part of the uterus
- Bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (BSO) – removal of both ovaries and both Fallopian tubes
- Laparoscopic-assisted radical vaginal hysterectomy – a minimally invasive procedure that uses a laparoscope to guide the removal of the uterus, ovaries and/or fallopian tubes through the vagina
- Robotic-assisted radical vaginal hysterectomy – minimally invasive removal of the uterus using robotic technology and extremely small incisions
Learn more about robotic surgery for gynecological cancer at Mease Countryside Hospital.
For a referral to an oncologist, please call the BayCare Customer Service Center at (727) 462-7500 or find a specialist near you.
Mease Countryside Hospital
3231 N. McMullen Booth Rd.
Safety Harbor, FL 33762
Mease Countryside Hospital Outpatient Imaging Department
3231 N. McMullen Booth Rd., Shaffer Tower
Safety Harbor, FL 33762