Take the Nervous System Quiz
The nervous system is responsible for our thoughts, our emotions, and our movements. The brain, nerves, and spinal cord are all members of this important process. How much do you know about the nervous system? Do you know what happens when the system malfunctions? Find out by taking this multiple-choice quiz.
1. The human nervous system is capable of a wide range of functions. What is the basic unit of the nervous system?
2. The neuron cell is made up of which of the following parts?
3. Neurons come in which different type(s)?
4. How do neurons communicate with one another?
5. What is a common neurotransmitter?
6. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that provides for communication between muscles and nerves. When there is a problem with the interaction between acetylcholine and the acetylcholine receptor sites on the muscles, which condition(s) can occur?
7. Dopamine is an important neurotransmitter. Which disease or disorder results when the neurons in the brain that produce dopamine die?
8. Certain metabolic diseases can affect the nervous system. For example, people with diabetes can develop a nervous system problem called diabetic neuropathy. What are the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy?
9. Cerebral palsy affects neurons in which part of the body?
10. Which of the following is a genetic disease that causes neurons in the brain to waste away and die?