LSVT BIG (Parkinson's Program)
LSVT BIG is a research-based exercise approach, developed from principles of the effective Parkinson’s disease-specific speech treatment, LSVT LOUD. LSVT programs have been developed and researched over 20 years. LSVT BIG has documented ratings on tests of motor functioning in people with Parkinson’s disease following treatment.
- Faster walking and bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Increased body rotation
LSVT BIG is a standardized treatment protocol consisting of:
- Sixteen sessions: Four consecutive days a week for four weeks
- Individual one-hour sessions
- Daily homework practice
- Daily carryover exercises
LSVT BIG will teach you how to avoid inactivity and keep moving during everyday activities, and will help you participate fully and improve the quality of your life. Research suggests that you shouldn’t wait until you begin to experience disability, impaired function or loss of balance to start exercise-based physical and occupational therapy. These techniques train individuals with Parkinson’s disease and other neurological conditions to use bigger movements anywhere, anytime in daily living. It’s essential that LSVT BIG treatments are delivered by physical and occupational therapists who are certified in this program.
LSVT BIG will help you establish a lifelong habit of good movement practice:
- It teaches the amount of effort required to produce normal movements.
- It translates bigger movements into real-world, everyday activities.
- People with Parkinson’s disease will be empowered to keep moving and stay active.