An important aspect of diabetes prevention is maintaining a healthy weight and getting plenty of exercise. Review a sample healthy meal plan to get started.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent type 2 diabetes:
- Lose a small amount of weight.
- Reduce portion sizes.
- Try to be active for at least 30 minutes, 5 days a week. Choose a place to walk that is safe such as your local mall.
- Drink a large glass of water 10 minutes before your meal so you feel less hungry.
- Eat slowly. It takes 20 minutes for your stomach to send a signal to your brain that you are full.
- Put less on your plate.
- Keep meat, chicken, turkey, and fish portions to about 3 ounces (about the size of a deck of cards).
- Peel and eat an orange instead of drinking orange juice.
- Drink water instead of juice or soda.
- If you drink whole milk, try changing to 2% milk. It is less fat than whole milk. Once you get used to 2% milk, try 1% or fat-free (skim) milk.
- Share one dessert.
- Use teaspoons, salad forks or smaller spoons to help you take smaller bites.
- Listen to music while you eat instead of watching TV (people tend to eat more while watching TV).
- Make a list of the food you need to buy before you go to the store.
- Eat a healthy snack or meal before shopping for food. Do not shop on an empty stomach.