Preparing for Surgery
To avoid cancellation of your procedure it is important that you carefully follow the instructions below.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke after midnight prior to the day of your surgery. You should also avoid heavy foods the evening before surgery.
- If you develop an illness or injury before your surgery date notify your physician immediately.
- Shower/bathe and brush your teeth the day of surgery.
- Leave all valuables, including jewelry and keys, at home.
- Remove contact lenses, fingernail polish and makeup before coming to the hospital.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing and bring slippers or comfortable shoes for your feet.
A Note about Medications
- If your doctor told you to take medication the morning of your surgery, drink as little water as possible when swallowing pills.
- Before taking any prescribed medication or herbal remedy, please check with your physician to verify that is safe to take continue taking before surgery. If you cannot reach your physician, please call Pre-Surgical Testing at (813) 302-8214.
- Avoid taking aspirin 10 days before surgery.
- Alert the nurse if you are taking any weight loss products.