What is Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy provides instructional support and treatment of physical disabilities by a physical therapist and helps a person improve the use of bones, muscles, joints and nerves. Physical therapy encourages patients to use their own muscles to increase flexibility and range of motion before finally advancing to other exercises that improve strength, balance, coordination and endurance. The goal is to improve how an individual functions at home and at work.
Our physical therapy services include:
- Range of movement and strengthening
- Joint and soft tissue mobilization
- Neuromuscular facilitation
- Postural education/body mechanics
- Gait training
- Balance training
- Home exercise instruction
- Cryotherapy/cold packs
- Thermotherapy/hot packs
- Electrical stimulation
- TENS/NMES instruction/rental
- Cervical/pelvic traction
- Evaluation of need for orthotics, splinting, bracing and adaptive equipment
- Sports medicine
- Aquatic/pool therapy*
- Vestibular/dizziness program*
- Computerized balance training*
- Prosthetic training
- Aquacizer (underwater treadmill)**
- Video gait analysis**
- Video throwing analysis**
- Sports-specific training room**
Services may include:
- Evaluation of adaptive equipment such as canes, walkers, wheelchairs Exercise, traction, joint mobilization, biofeedback for muscle retraining
- Balance and dizziness training using Balance Master® - computerized balance training system. Provides normative-based assessment and training of the sensory and motor components of balance utilizing visual biofeedback.
- Applications of moist heat, cold, ultrasound, and electric stimulation
- Evaluation of physical function, typically "gross function"- gait, stairs, transfers, bed mobility
- Therapeutic pool
- Gait or mobility training
- Training on use of home T.E.N.S. (electric stimulation for pain control)
- Teaching about posture, body mechanics and daily living activities
* Available at St. Anthony's Resource Center only.
** Available at St. Anthony's Outpatient Center (Carillon) only.