Memory Disorders Center
The Memory Disorders Center (MDC) at St. Anthony's Hospital is a center of hope, education and support for patients living with a memory disorder and the family members and loved ones who help care for them.
What are Memory Disorders?
The most common causes of memory loss are Alzheimer's disease, vascular changes and dementia with Lewy Bodies. Depression can manifest as a memory disorder as well, but can be reversed with treatment. Metabolic (hormonal) and sleep disorders can also cause memory dysfunction that is treatable. Some conditions affect related cognitive or brain abilities. Early detection, diagnosis and treatment are all crucial to maintaining optimal brain function.
Memory Disorders Center Services
- Consultations with social workers to brainstorm ways to help patients remain as independent as possible while also staying safe
- Education on how to manipulate the environment and form routines to help patients function at the highest possible level
- Training on how to communicate with loved ones with dementia and manage difficult behaviors
- Guidance on planning for the future
- Referrals to community resources and health care providers
- Navigation services including assistance with coordinating follow-up appointments
- Memory screenings and tips for brain wellness
- Caregiver support groups, educational events and social gatherings
- Camp Caregiver, an annual retreat for caregivers
The services of the Memory Disorders Center are free, thanks to the generosity of St. Anthony’s Hospital, the community and St. Anthony’s Hospital Foundation.
The Memory Disorders Center also offers support groups for family members and friends of persons living with a memory disorder. The Caregiver Support Group provides an opportunity to share information and experiences with other caregivers.
Caregiver Support Group
Caregiver support groups are for families and friends of people with memory disorders to share information and experiences with other caregivers.
Caregiver support groups are for caregivers only and aren’t appropriate for people with memory disorders. However, family consultations are available for people with memory disorders and their loved ones. Please call our office to schedule an appointment.
Caregiver support groups are held every month (excluding holidays):
- First Thursday, 2-3:30pm
- Third Thursday, 6:30-8pm
Support groups are free, and reservations are not required. All meetings take place virtually. Call the Memory Disorders Center at (727) 825-1595 for login instructions.
For more information or to schedule an appointment call (727) 825-1595 or fill out the web form below.
Memory Disorders Center at St. Anthony's Hospital
St. Anthony's Hospital
Professional Office Building
1201 Fifth Ave. N., Suite 309
St. Petersburg, FL 33705
Campus Map and Parking Directions
Request a Consultation with Our Memory Disorders Center
Please provide information of the individual we should contact below.