Our Nursing Internship Programs offer you the chance to explore a specialized field and gain new skills.
BayCare offers the following Specialty Internships are offered on an as needed basis:
- Emergency Nurse Internship Program
- Critical Care/Open-Heart Internship Program
- Labor and Delivery Internship
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Internship
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) and Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (PCICU) Internship
- Perioperative Internship
- Cath Lab Internship
- Clinical Nurse Residency (CNR) Program
Emergency Nurse Internship Program
Learn and develop your skills at some of Florida’s busiest emergency centers. If you want to be trained by the best to become the best, the BayCare Emergency Internship Program is what you’re looking for.
- Offered four times per year, concurrent with critical care internship
- Five-week didactic which includes presentations by critical care and emergency experts, hands-on workshops, ACLS, BLS, PALS and NIHSS certification, and TNCC for St. Joseph’s Hospital interns
- Emergency Nurse Organization’s Emergency Nurse Orientation (ENO) 73.0 CEs, TNCC 17.65 CEs
- Twelve-week clinical orientation
Critical Care/Open-Heart Internship Program
This exciting course is a combination of a web-based program with clinical application through workshops/case studies, and critical care clinical rotations over a 24-week period. The course has been carefully designed by a team of critical care nurses from ICU, CCU, CSU and EC to maximize critical care learning and apply didactic knowledge in a critical care clinical setting.
- Offered four times per year
- Five-week didactic which includes presentations by critical care experts, hands-on workshops, ACLS, BLS, and NIHSS certification
- Additional open-heart-specific education is embedded into the clinical experience
- AACN’s Essentials of Critical Care Orientation (ECCO) on-line program-58 CEs
- Eight to 24-week clinical orientation-unit dependent
Labor and Delivery Internship
The Labor and Delivery RN Internship is approximately 100 classroom hours taught over a six- to eight- week period, associated with precepted experience in the LDR unit. The classes cover extensive, in-depth material on low- and high-risk pregnancies.
- Offered once a year
- Two to three week didactic (classroom, online modules, simultations) split between beginning of program and later in program including normal and high-risk labor/delivery and post-delivery care, fetal monitoring, lactation, perinatal bereavement and Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- Four to six months of precepted clinical experience, based on individual progress
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Internship
This program is for the care of neonates with complications of prematurity, congenital anomalies or other disease processes. Preceptorship includes 16 – 26 week of clinical experience; length determined by the individual needs of the intern.
- Offered two times per year as needed
- Didactic/classroom hours may vary and is interspersed with precepted clinical experience
- 16 to 26 weeks of clinical orientation, based on individual progress
- NRP and S.T.A.B.L.E. courses are included in the program
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) and Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (PCICU) Internship
The PICU Internship is an opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills to transition into the PICU setting. Our PICU is for the care of critically ill children. The PICU is dedicated to providing compassionate care to seriously ill children, with a child-friendly and family-centered care focus.
- Common pediatric disease processes
- Respiratory failure
- Respiratory and cardiac extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
- Trauma, including traumatic brain injury
- Shock, sepsis, multi-organ failure
- Congenital heart disease
- Hemodynamic monitoring
- Emergencies in the ICU setting
The perioperative internship prepares nurses for the care of surgical patients encompassing all ages, from newborns to geriatric patients. We focus education in the care of the trauma patient as part of the internship program. We provide care in all specialties and have dedicated teams for robotics, orthopedics, cardiovascular and pediatrics.
- Offered once per year
- Ten-week didactic with interactive learning reinforcement exercises
- Expert guest speakers
- One-year preceptorship with hands-on practicum
- Clinical rotation through OR, PACU, outpatient surgery, sterile processing
- Free one-year AORN membership upon successful completion
- AORN on-line program
- 41.7 CE hours after completion of all modules and final exam score of 80 percent of greater
Cath Lab Nurse Internship
The Cath Lab Internship program will be individualized based on experience.
- The RN with Critical Care or Emergency Department experience may attend components of the Critical Care Internship program based on identified learning needs. They will also complete Cath Lab didactic and 500 Clinical Hours in a Level II Cath Lab.
- The RN with Progressive Care Telemetry / Post Interventional Care will complete the Critical Care Internship Program, Cath Lab Didactic and 500 Clinical Hours in a Level II Cath Lab.
Clinical Nurse Residency (CNR) Program
This program is primarily for new nurse graduates, but can also be utilized for foreign graduates new to U.S. hospitals, nurses who have been away from acute care practice or seasoned nurses new to acute care. The basis for this program is medical-surgical nursing.
- Offered numerous times per year after spring, summer and fall graduation
- Consists of 40-hour transition course and monthly four-hour seminar courses for up to a year
- Ten-plus week preceptorship