Brain Injury Program
The Brain Injury program is a unique outpatient rehabilitation program offering a team approach to treating adults with brain injuries. The program is designed to evaluate and treat physical, thinking, speaking, emotional and behavioral problems associated with a brain injury. The focus is on improving an individual’s ability to perform daily self-care, homemaking, leisure and work activities within the home and community. Treatment is provided individually or in groups. Successful return to community is our goal!
Physical therapy, Occupational therapy, Speech - Language Pathology, and Neuropsychology services are available. When appropriate, a vocational specialist may be consulted for return to work issues. We have a RN/case manager to assist with medical education and finding resources for the person and the family. Referrals may also be made to outside resources for services including diabetic education nutrition consultation, Meals on Wheels, etc. Our team members help with accessing these community resources as appropriate.
Our dedicated team is sensitive to the physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioral changes that can occur following a brain injury. A neuropsychologist is available to provide guidance to the person and caregivers in addressing behavioral/emotional changes. Each person’s program addresses and respects the person’s individual needs and goals, cultural and spiritual beliefs, and values. A referral/prescription from a Florida licensed physician is required to begin therapy. The frequency and duration of your treatment is dependent on physician orders, therapist recommendations, and authorization from your funding source. Provision of service may be affected by payor source requirements.
Our facility is a hospital-based outpatient setting that is accessible to the public and is open Monday through Friday from 8am to 4:30pm. We are located on first floor of Winter Haven Hospital near the South Entrance. Persons are referred by physicians or case managers. We are accessible by public transportation. If eligible, our staff can assist in applying for transportation services through the county’s Transportation Disadvantaged Program.
Winter Haven Hospital Outpatient Rehabilitation Center accepts Worker’s Compensation, Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Program, and most commercial insurance, Medicare, Medicare HMO and Medicaid programs. The financial counseling department of Winter Haven Hospital can arrange payment plans for cash accounts. The persons we serve are provided an estimate of their fees during the initial meeting. Winter Haven Hospital is a not-for-profit hospital.
- Age 18 or older
- Medically stable
- Prescription from a Florida-licensed physician
- Diagnosis related to a brain injury
- Ability to tolerate and participate in outpatient rehab program
- With reasonable expectations of improvement in function
- With an identified funding source or approval from financial counseling
- Not harmful to self or others
- Free of unprescribed drugs and alcohol for duration of the program
- For which Outpatient rehab is deemed the most reasonable/appropriate level or care (by physician, patient, family members and outpatient rehab team).
- Goals are met and or maximum benefit has been achieved
- May be discharged at the end of their authorized treatment period, as per their funding source. Further financial options can be explored as needed
- If not compliant with attendance (3 no show or consistently cancelling appointments)
- Inability to benefit or need for another level of care
- Evidence of abuse of alcohol or illegal drugs may indicate need for a different type of program
The Outpatient Medical program reviews outcomes of past populations to predict outcomes for current treatment. We look at national data for similar diagnoses and use this data to measure our success. Our patients are surveyed after discharge by telephone at 30 and 90 days to discuss the carryover of their functional gains.
If you are interested in a tour or have additional questions, please call (863) 292-4060.