How do I prepare for the exam?
- At the time you schedule your appointment, you will be provided with specific instructions, as preparation for your ultrasound will vary depending upon the type of exam you are scheduled to receive. The representative will also verify your health and insurance information.
- If available, please bring previous imaging study results (MRI, CT scan, X-rays, etc.), such as reports, films or CD’s.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment to verify your registration information.
What should I expect during the exam?
- You will lie on a cushioned table and gel will be applied to your skin. The gel acts as a conductor.
- A transducer, a hand-held device that sends and receives ultrasound signals, is moved over the area of your body being imaged.
- Images are instantly captured on a television-like monitor and transferred to the radiologist to review and interpret.
- Depending on the type of exam, your ultrasound will last 20-60 minutes.
What happens after the exam?
- A radiologist who specializes in the specific area of the body that was examined will review your images.
- The radiologist prepares a diagnostic report to share with your doctor.
- Your doctor will consider this information in context of your overall care and talk with you about the results.
To make an appointment, please call:
Hillsborough County: (813) 635-3610
Pinellas/Pasco Counties: (727) 461-8555