How do I prepare for the exam?
- Do not use deodorant, talcum powder or lotion under your arms or near your breasts on the day of your mammogram.
- Wear a two-piece outfit so you will only have to remove your top.
- Notify one of the BayCare Imaging Professionals if you are nursing or if there is a chance you may be pregnant.
- Bring with you the name, address and phone number of any facility where you have had a prior mammogram and bring any previous films. The radiologist needs your previous films for comparison in order to make an accurate assessment. Failure to bring your films may result in a delay of the physician's report.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time to verify your registration information.
What should I expect during the exam?
- You will be positioned in front of a special X-ray machine, warmed for your comfort.
- One at a time, each of your breasts are pressed momentarily between an adjustable platform and a clear plate. Some brief pressure is necessary to flatten the breast in order to get the clearest picture.
- The entire exam typically takes 10-15 minutes.
What happens after the exam?
- A radiologist who specializes in breast imaging will review your mammography pictures.
- The radiologist prepares a diagnostic report to share with your doctor.
- Your doctor will consider this information in context of your overall care and talk with you about the results.
To make an appointment, please call:
Hillsborough County: (813) 635-3610
Pinellas/Pasco Counties: (727) 461-8555